Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Trick or treat? Where do you think you are?

Ah, yes. Hallowe'en. That magical holiday of monsters, mayhem, and enough candy to make every 7-year-old in America thoroughly ill. And that, dear readers, is where we run into a little problem. No, not the getting sick part. The "in America" part. Hallowe'en isn't exactly a widely-observed festival. In Beijing, it is only observed in small pockets of houses out in the suburbs, in places that have an unusually high number of American families.

We went out to just such a suburb in time to watch some brave bands of trick-or-treaters making their rounds, when we were struck by the true horror of it all: these poor kids were being handed a lot of Chinese candy. Oh, sure, a few dedicated families went through the trouble to track down candy bars and the like, but - tragically - the huge shipment of Hallowe'en candy that was due to arrive for sale at the U.S. Embassy's AEA Locker store got held up in Chinese customs and hasn't been approved for entry into the country as of this writing. The result is that a number of families in Beijing were forced to (gasp!) buy candy on the local economy.

Normally, we're all in favor of pumping money into the cash-strapped Chinese economy. But if you've ever had Chinese candy, we think you will agree with us that it is more trick than treat.

On the bright side, the end result (or so we've been told) is that kids tend to not eat all of their haul in the first 48 hours after trick-or-treating. One parent even told us that she found candy still sitting in the bottom of her daughter's collection bag when she dug it out of the closet for this year's event.

For those of you who don't understand how any country can produce 1.3 billion people without a single great candy bar to show for it, we wish to point out that while Chinese cooks recognize sugar and salt, they aren't particularly comfortable using them in concert. Thus, Chinese sweets tend to have no salt whatsoever, an imbalance that renders the final confection (or cake, or whatever) sweet without being remotely satisfying.

So, Happy Hallowe'en to all you back in the 'States; and while we'll gladly remind you that October is indeed the finest month of the year in which to visit Beijing, you might want to schedule yourself to be back in the safe cocoon of candy coma that is America by the end of the month. Until next time, then, good night and sweet dreams.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not related to china's economy at all but I had a GhostBuster at my door last night if you can believe it!
Actually ran out of candy and had to shut the lights off and hide (possibly because I would let the really cute kids pick several candies)

Anonymous said...

Were you guys ghostbusters?? I remember being the ghost. And I remember the cigarette gum that would puff "smoke". Ah yes.. back in the non PC days of yore.
I had no trick or treaters come to my house :(

Anonymous said...

I can confirm the Ghostbusters.

I believe that the Ghostbuster photo is in the "Cara better not ever make Jason too angry" photo collection (which was shared at some point with Murr, by the way. They'll get used eventually).

:)

Anonymous said...

I want a copy of that Ghostbusters picture :) Was actually working from home on Tuesday so I went and bought candy but did not have a single person trick or treat (and I live in a condo complex). Hopefully my dog sitting friend will pig out while I'm working in Georgia so there wont be anything left for me when I get back and I will still fit in my suit for my sister's wedding (BTW, I apologize for bringing the cold weather down here with me)

We need more cat pictures. Friday cat blogging is an internet tradition and you are letting us down :)

Anonymous said...

The GB picture should be shared for sure,, they did that the year I was in England and yes more cat pictures please :)