Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Nuts and Berries

In honor of Tu B'Shevat we went to the grocery store and bought fruits and nuts we didn't recognize (and a few old friends).
Here were some of the experiments:
1) Dried kiwi
2) The little ones are hazelnuts and
3) The big ones are dried longans
4) Dried lychees
5) Green olives (no image on this one - you'll just have to figure it out on your own)
6) Thinly sliced candied hawthorne
7) Papaya, hawthorne, and raisin muffin tops
8) Dried jujube
9) Dried candied jujube
10) Candied walnuts (Michael says yum)
11) Pistachio

It turns out that the longans (the things that look like smooth, round, nuts) are actually fruits. The thin outside rind hardens into a thin shell. These are dried longans so the moist fruit had shrunk around the inside pit. The skin could easily be cracked open against another longan and then we popped the shrunken flesh with pit in our mouths. The flesh came off pretty easily and we could spit the pits (which are almost fuzzy) out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great plates! Incredible, even. =)

KirbyFur said...

Seriously, I was about to complement you on having enough bowls to hold all this and then I made my eyes focus - yer such a geek.

ShamrockJews said...

In my own defense those plates were a gift - really, I swear. I also want you to know that we do have enough plates to put everything in fancy bowls - really, I swear.

Anonymous said...

I take objection to your remarks, mapkristi.
The Paper Plates - even before I knew they were the Incrdibles, I knew they were special for the super girl and super boy bloggers.
Carol

Anonymous said...

I wanted to see you in the mask! I am so glad that you enjoyed your gift. Yes, the Incredibles were a gift (a VERY late birthday present) and yes it was perfect for a super girl.
xo
Kathy (& Laura when she reads this!)

Anonymous said...

Wait, I thought jujubes were candy. Oh, and ditto what Kathy said.