Monday, June 18, 2007

Chinese Pregger Customs - Don't let the cold in

There is a lot of Chinese customs for pregnant women and I get to learn more and more of them each day.
During my last MBA class I was told that I should not eat hawthorn berries. This is probably part of the larger issues that 'cold' things are bad for preggies (though really there are a whole set of specific food requirements that I don't understand or even know about). What are cold things? Well, these are not only physically cold things like cold air but also items that fall into the 'cold' category like watermelon. The whole idea is that because women's joints loosen as the pregnancy progresses and especially right after the baby is born, that the woman's body is more susceptible to things. The one big issue to look out for is cold getting into the joints which will cause arthritis later in life. Chinese people would prefer that I don't even drink anything cold - which considering it was 32°C (90°F) is quite a bit to ask for.
Check out this article for more information regarding Chinese food culture.

No comments: