Friday, January 26, 2007

The Sound of Music and China

Many Chinese people that we have met have a huge fondness for the movie "The Sound of Music". We are not exactly sure where this comes from but we have seen it in action. Last year at a Christmas party for Michael's language class we were treated to lovely duet of Edelweiss in English and Chinese.

So today, when I (Cara that is, Michael has not yet heard this story) happened to be listening to the radio in the car, I was startled but not surprised to hear a pop mix version of "Lonely Goatherd" which is from the Sound of Music. This is exactly the kind of song I would expect to hear incorporating the musical and new Chinese singers. Which is why I was surprised to discover it was not a Chinese pop song but instead Gwen Stefani's "Wind It Up". I guess American's might also really still like "The Sound of Music".

1 comment:

KirbyFur said...

gah. I went and looked that song up on itunes. I may be scarred. Or scared. Or both.