Saturday, July 07, 2007

Loving the rain storm

Right now my computer is situated so that I look west over Beijing as I type. In the afternoons this can be a little problematic as the sun is essentially setting directly before me. Often this is solved by pulling the blinds. Today though, as 6:30pm approached (sunset is officially at 7:30), looking out the window all I could see was a hazy dark brown in the fading twilight and keeping the blinds up presented no problem. Well, keeping them up made me sort of depressed because a brown sky is just not all that fun to look at, but glare was not a problem.

And then the rain started.
One of the hardest rains I have witnessed to date in this city. Made me think of Florida summers at 3:30pm and the regular afternoon 15 minute rain storms. Fantastic stuff.

As the rain reached it hardest drive and pounded the window ledge and glass, the skies became progressively lighter and brighter - not something I would normally associate with heavy rain. After a heavy rain as the clouds pass, sure it should get brighter, but during? This seems odd. The only conclusion I could draw is that the brown haze was actually pollution suspended in the air and it was being knocked down by this amazing rain. Yay, but also, ugh.

It became so clear that the Western Hills became visible during the downpour and the sun, still 4 inches above the horizon, (at 1 Cara-arm of full extension) could be seen in spite of the rain.

Now the rain has mostly passed and is only at a drizzle. I had to lower the thin blind to prevent being blinded by the setting sun shining down from a blue sky with white clouds on a pink-tinged city.

Pretty sweet.

No comments: