Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Its Electric

We have mentioned before the danger of static electricity in Beijing. The gist of it is that during the winter months here, anytime you touch a conductive material you receive a shock. Michael and I have developed personal techniques for dealing with this problem but they were shown to be inadequate when faced with a new dimension - Tovina.

It was bad enough when we started flinching before kissing one another, but imagine how one feels when you go to pick up your crying child and feel the shock of energy go from your hand to her head. This is rarely the soothing action that was intended by said parent.

I have taken to touching a metal object, usually a doorknob, getting the shock, and then touching Tovina. This works in most cases. (The outfits that seem to generate their own electricity fields simply through air contact have been removed from her wardrobe). The problem with this solution is that it makes me feel like I am getting more shocks than I did before adopting it.

I know that parents are suppose to do anything for their children, but somehow this was not what I had in mind.

No comments: