Thursday, June 29, 2006

Fun Times with Heavy Machinery

From Cara's keyboard:
One of the (many) cool things about working on a construction site is all the heavy machinery. While the construction workers are not so keen on allowing me to use any of this equipment (yet) I was able to climb the 12 story crane and I only had to get permission from 7 different people. When I told people on the site that I wanted climb up the crane, there first response was always, “Who’s making you do that?”. Upon learning that I was making me do it, there next comment was “Well, if you’re crazy enough….” Little did they know.

So up I went. It only took about 15 minutes to get up and it was much easier than climbing that many stairs. And once up there - What fun! Unfortunately I was not able to operate the crane or go out on the boom, but there is always next time. Interestingly enough the climbing up part was not so hard. The climbing down was a little woozying though. I discovered the trick was to look out over the other buildings rather than down to the air beneath me.

No comments: