Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The danger with cribs

At home Tovina sleeps in a pack-n-play with soft mesh sides. At my parent's house she sleeps in a real, honest-to-goodness wooden crib. (Actually, she sleeps in my honest-to-goodness 30+ year old crib. We believe in very serious recycling in my house.) But I have noticed something sort of uncomfortable looking about how T sleeps in the afore mentioned crib. Can you pick out what I mean?

No?

Well, let me give you a close up.


Did you catch it that time?

It doesn't seem to bother her...

And the big red mark in the middle of her forehead did fade within a day so no harm done.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Katherine does pretty much the same thing. We've got one side of the crib elevated right now because she's gotten an ear infection. Most mornings we'll go in and she'll be head down at the bottom, crammed into the corner. Not so much that she wakes up with a red mark, but really not in any position that Becky or I would call "comfortable." But, if's she sleeps through the night, I'm OK with it.

Carolyn said...

You can put a bumper pad in the crib to avoid that! Poor baby. Also, since your crib is old, please make sure there are not any poles from the four corners. Older cribs did not have the saftey standards that they have in place now and babies hung themselves from the poles, so please check! I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Miss you guys!

KayBee said...

I think that position is why they discourage the use of bumpers these days.

So far, Nola just seems to turn around in a circle in the center - like the hands of a clock.

K

Chip, Sarah, Quinn & Will said...

Bumpers. They'll murder your baby in her sleep, but they do prevent the red marks. I think Tovina is old enough you don't have to worry about the bumpers being a hazard. After all, you're letting her sleep with that dangerous-dangerous blanket and bear combo. :)

Michael S. said...

Yeah, I'm not so worried about a bumper suffocating her, either. The kid inhales oatmeal - huge clumps at a time - so if a bumper got in the way, I figure she'd just eat it and resume breathing once the bumper was no longer there, which would take around 3 seconds. Probably wouldn't even wake her up.